FG Hands Rescued Chibok Girls Over To Women Affairs Ministry
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has said that the 82 Chibok girls rescued by the Federal Government weeks ago will today, 30th May be released and handed over to the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development for counselling and proper rehabilitation.
The minister, who made this known on Monday in an interview with Punch said the 82 girls, who have been in the custody of the Federal Government (through the DSS) since their rescue, have been made to undergo several medical tests and treatment.
Read Also: Buhari’s Administration Has Created New Sets Of Millionaires
“The 82 girls went through medical and mental tests. Some had bullet wounds and their treatment took longer. Now, they have completed all medical procedures and will be handed over to the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs.
“The girls will be taken to a new facility. The old one was basically a medical facility because the purpose was just to examine them and treat them. So, any of them that needs further treatment can continue at the new facility.”
Note that the 82 girls were freed by the Boko Haram insurgents who kidnapped them about 3 years ago from their school in the Chibok community.
See Also: Osinbajo Will Be Responsible For Any Igbo Man’s Blood – Ohanaeze
They were released after months of dialogue and mediation between the Nigerian government and the insurgents earlier this month in exchange for an unspecified number of detained Boko Haram commanders.
The handing-over ceremony is scheduled to take place at the National Women Development Centre, in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Senator Aisha Jummai Alhassan, who was represented by Director, Planning, Research and Statistics in the Ministry, Mrs. Abidemi Aremo, also disclosed that the girls will be enrolled back to school in September, this year, alongside the 24 others rescued last year.
Read This: Any Nigerian Can Own A House Now With N30,000 Salary
The Minister said:
“The children are being rehabilitated and we believe that in due course they will be properly aligned with their families. Intensive medical attention is being administered and as soon as they are done, they will be enrolled into a remedial programme.”
It should be recalled that in April 2014, 276 female students were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in the town of Chibok in Borno State with Boko Haram claiming responsibility for the kidnap soon afterwards.
While the Nigerian government has rescued 103 from the Boko Haram captivity, at least 113 are still in the hands of the Islamic terrorists.
Read Also: Democracy Day: MMM Throws Surprise Party In Abuja, Osun
As for the rescued girls, they are yet to be re-united with their families as they are still placed under the supervision of the DSS. However, the government has claimed that the need for proper and comprehensive check-up on the girls necitated their action.