Minority walkout was well planned – Majority leader
General News of Wednesday, 2 August 2017
Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu has said that Minority’s boycott of Parliament over claims of bias against the Speaker of the House, Prof Mike Oquaye was well planned.
The Minority on Tuesday, 1 August staged a walk-out during deliberations on the controversial $510 million AMERI power deal.
The walk-out followed concerns raised by the Minority that they were being gagged and prevented from making contributions on the floor.
They accused the Speaker of muzzling them, thus had no alternative but to walk out as a sign of protest.
Minority Leader Haruna Iddrisu accused Prof Mike Oquaye of being a threat to democracy in parliament.
But speaking on the issue, Mr. Mensah Bonsu pointed out that the Speaker of the House, “in his wisdom” taking into consideration the motion noting fraudulent claim, felt the matter was too weighty to be continued so the member should move to the committee on energy and submit what information has come to him to the Committee.
“I don’t know what has come over the Minority. The speaker thought the matter was too weighty and so ordered that it be moved to the energy committee and that is what our members from the minority failed to appreciate and then walked out.
“They had already planned what they intend doing even before coming to parliament so I’m not surprised at all” he said.
According to Mr. Mensah Bonsu, the motive behind the referral of the motion to the Mines and Energy Committee was to allow the Committee to reconsider the deal since it advised Parliament to approve it in the first place in 2015.
“Their behavoiur is strange and I as a colleague in leadership and looking at the demeanour they put up get worried because they want to indulge in pettiness and this does not help anybody” he noted on Accra based Okay FM.