Sultan Condemns NYSC Camps, Army Recruitment During Ramadan
The Sultan of Sokoto, Abubakar Sa’ad, has condemned the decision of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, to continue running its orientation camps as well as the Nigerian Army recruitment exercise during the Ramadan fast.
The Jama’atu Nasril Islam, (JNI), a foremost Islamic body in Nigeria, led by the Sultan also called on the Nigerian Army to immediately postpone its planned recruitment exercise until Muslims have concluded their fasting period for the year 2017.
At its recently-concluded annual central council meeting in Kaduna, the JNI’s decision was part of many resolutions, which included fervent prayers for ailing President Muhammadu Buhari. The two-day event was held between May 21 and 22.
The JNI explained that NYSC admitting new entrants into orientation camps and the Nigerian Army conducting recruitment exercise during Ramadan would put Muslim faithful, especially those observing fasting and prayers, at a disadvantage.
Read Also: Muslims Protest NYSC Orientation And Nigerian Army Recruitment During Ramadan
“This is because the prospective corps members would be at disadvantage to their faith and other camp activities.
“In the same vein, the Council calls on the authority of the Nigerian Army to postpone the intended recruitment exercise until after Ramadan to avoid putting prospective candidates at disadvantage,” it said.
The group further called on the NYSC to honour a previous agreement entered by the two parties for camp activities to be placed on hold during Ramadan.
Recall that the Nigerian Army had earlier this month announced plans to recruit new personnel in an exercise slated to take place between May and June 2017. On the other hand, just last week, NYSC opened camps for the latest stream of graduates.
Meanwhile, on Thursday, June 1, the Sultan of Sokoto, unveiled the ultra-modern emergency operations complex at the Sokoto State Specialist Hospital, Sokoto.
The complex, established by Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal at the cost of N161 million, will broaden access to quality healthcare to the citizenry and provide 24 hours emergency services to patients free of charge.
At the launch event, the Sultan commended the state government for putting together the centre which he said will radically change the face of healthcare delivery in the state for good. He also called on people of the state to take full advantage of the facilities, adding that as leaders, they will continue to support government policies aimed at improving the lives of the people.
According to Governor Tambuwal, the emergency operation complex comprises seven centres namely: trauma centre, polyclinics 1 and 2, central ambulance service comprising 15 ambulances, blood transfusion centre, malaria, meningitis, measles, polio, gastro-entritis emergency unit, epideomelogical unit and lastly biomedical engineering workshop.
While pledging that his administration will continue to provide effective health care service in the state, Governor Tambuwal said:
“We will always show total commitment and dedication to the contemporary health needs of the people in the state.
“In that regard, we have expended over N161 million on the renovation of GOPD in the Specialist Hospital as well as the establishment of this complex.”
See Also: Muslim Cleric Urges FIFA To Ban Players From Making On-Pitch Christian Signs
The governor said as the largest referral facility owned by the government, the specialist hospital will continue to receive the attention it deserves from the government.