Japie van der Linde Elected Beaufort West Mayor: 6 Quick Fasts
Japie van der Linde, a member of the Democratic Alliance (DA) has been elected as Beaufort West mayor, in Western Cape.
This comes after the DA emerged the winner during the by-election in the Beaufort West Municipality Ward 7, held on 24 May 2017.
See Also: Eskom Ordered To Nullify Brian Molefe’s Reappointment
Van der Linde out-smarted the African National Congress’ (ANC) Stanley Nkanyezi in the election, grabbing a majority of the votes cast.
The voting result showed the DA won comfortably, jumping from 47% in August 2016 to 57% on a higher percentage poll.
In a statement released on Wednesday, the DA’s Constituency Head for Central Karoo Municipality and Beaufort West, MP Daylin Mitchell congratulated the new mayor, expressing optimism that the new mayor will usher in a real change in the region.
“As Constituency Head I would like to congratulate him. I am excited about the clean, efficient and corruption-free governance which we can now bring to Beaufort West Municipality, as well as the many opportunities and growth through our proven track record of sound service delivery
The DA’s second victory in Beaufort West, following the initial success in August 2016, with its alliance partner, The Karoo Democratic Force (KDF), have ensured the ousting of the ANC and Truman Prince along with their legacy of corruption. The victory has also paved the way for the new mayor to usher in real change and opportunity. We remain committed to bringing sound governance to the people of this region, which only the DA can provide.”
Check Out: Gordhan In R4 Billion Corruption Case
6 Fast Facts To Know
- The Beaufort by-election was organised following the resignation of DA Mayor, Djorge Malooi.
- The DA runs the Beaufort West Municipality in a coalition with the Karoo Democratic Force.
- During the just-concluded Beaufort West Municipality by-election, the DA clinched victory with 1 724 votes, the ANC 1 251 and the EFF got 52 votes from the over 4 000 registered voters.
- The DA won Beaufort West for the first time ever in 2016 local government election, obtaining 49.2% of the vote, while the ANC garnered 42.2%.
- The DA and ANC won six seats each in last year’s municipal elections but the blue party took control of the municipality after a coalition.
- The ANC controls only two municipalities in Western Cape – Laingsburg and Kannaland (Calitzdorp).
Japie van der Linde once served as the Democratic Alliance’s Shadow Deputy Minister of Sport and Recreation.