Lucas Ngobeni Drags ANC To Court For Undue Replacement
An aggrieved member of the ANC has roped the ruling party to court over what he called ‘undue replacement’.
Prior to his replacement, Lucas Ngobeni, 55, from Soshanguve, north of Tshwane, was nominated by his branch to vie for councilorship position again.
See also: No Elections Will Take Place In Vuwani – Community Head
But, he was marveled on June 2 when he learnt that a little-known candidate, Maria Skhosana has taken his spot on ward 89 list.
He then wrote to Mantashe on June 7, “but after some time, it became evident that Mantashe defiantly him and other community members.; who told Mantashe that they won’t vote for ‘imposed candidates’.
Community Members Elected Lucas Ngobeni
Various branches of the ANC, ANC Youth League and the South African Civic Organisation (Sanco) also testified that Ngobeni was elected with majority votes to stand again as councillor.
The ANC branch said: “….[Ngobeni] obtained majority votes…. .his experience and popularity in the ward speaks volumes.”
This gave him the impetus to march to the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria.
As gathered, Ngobeni’s application would have been read last Thursday; but the hearing was shifted to today by Judge Peter Mabuse.
According to Mabuse, the hearing was postponed in order to allow the ANC file opposing papers.
However, embittered Ngobeni’s application would be heard in the court of justice today.
Speaking earlier in papers, Ngobeni stated that he cited the ANC’s national executive committee as the first respondent; while ANC secretary general; Gwede Mantashe was cited as the second respondent.
“Briefly put, the relief which is sought is the review and setting aside of a decision removing and/replacing me as the duly appointed nominee for ward councillor of ward 89,” Ngobeni said in papers.
Check out: Dissatisfied ANC Members Burn ‘Zuma’s Head’ And Election Posters
Ngobeni’s case against the ruling is coming just a week before the much anticipated local government elections.
In response to the development, ANC spokesman Zizi Kodwa enjoined aggrieved candidates to put back their sheaths until elections are over.
“Our focus now is to win elections. You can’t change candidates now; even if someone dies, that person will be on the ballot paper,” he said.