Jacob Zuma describes himself as South Africa’s only saviour
Despite how irked most of us feel about president Zuma’s description of himself and the ANC as the chosen one for the country, the president, Jacob Zuma, strongly believes it his destiny to lead the country and ANC is the only party blessed to carry on with the divine task.
Zuma’s claim that the ANC and himself in particular are vested with divine mandate to lead the country is no news to many who are conversant with the president’s speech especially during the election campaign periods.
President Zuma has since his emergence as the president, introduced this intense degree of religiosity into the party as part of his weapon for persuading common citizens to vote for the party. This no doubt proves right Napoleon Bonaparte‘s idea that “Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.”
Obviously, suggesting a party is ordained by God is one of the most antidemocratic sentiments one can express. This is because it negates freedom of choice, and it in fact raise questions on the relevance of elections if God has predetermined the outcome.
A recently released Statistics SA General Household Survey revealed that about 86% of South Africans are religious hence by using this persuasive style on the masses, critics thinks president Zuma and the ruling ANC could manipulate them into yielding to their demands particularly during elections.
Also See: Stop Re-Writing SA History And Defying Mandela For Your Own Interests – Nzimande To DA
The following gives you a list of quotes from president Jacob Zuma and the ANC about their special relationship with the divinity. The kind you will perhaps find only in an authoritarian government.
- “Voting ANC is like opening gates to heaven. If you do not vote ANC, it’s like choosing to be with devil.” — Zuma, addressing ANC supporters in Gompo Hall in Duncan Village, East London, July 23 2016.
- “As your shepherd, let me lead you…While I still have this responsibility to lead the nation, it does not matter whether you are a Zuma [supporter] or not, at this moment I have been given a task to lead you, let me lead you,” Zuma said to a congregation in isiZulu in April 2016.
- “The ANC will rule SA until Jesus comes back.” — Zuma, at a Gauteng ANC special council in Johannesburg on March 15 2004.
- “(The ANC) is even blessed in Heaven. That is why we will rule until Jesus comes back. We should not allow anyone to govern our city (Cape Town) when we are ruling the country.” — Zuma, Cape Town, May 5 2008.
- “Jesus was persecuted. He was called names and betrayed. It’s the same kind of suffering Mr Zuma has had to bear recently, but he’s still standing strong.” — Free State ANC chairman Ace Magashule, explaining a similar comparison he made to a crowd of Zuma supporters outside the Supreme Court of Appeal, November 30 2008.
- “We in the ANC know God. When the ANC was born, it was baptized. We have respect, we are beautiful, we conduct ourselves in a good way.” — Zuma, Eastern Cape, February 5 2011.
- “When you vote for the ANC, you are also choosing to go to heaven. When you don’t vote for the ANC you should know that you are choosing that man who carries a fork … who cooks people. When you are carrying an ANC membership card, you are blessed. When you get up there, there are different cards used but when you have an ANC card, you will be let through to go to heaven.” — Jacob Zuma, said at an impromptu rally at Mthatha City Hall, Eastern Cape, February 6 2011
- “According to our belief, we were anointed by God to lead the country from oppression to freedom and there are things that show us that we have that anointment”Mantashe told the congregants at a campaign ground in Western Cape in 18 JULY 2016
- “… The ANC is the Moses of the day and God has chosen them, through His divine interventions, to lead the people of this country and this region away from poverty and marginalization and into a better world,”Eastern Cape provincial council of churches’ Rev. Jaxa said to congregation in June 23, 2016.
- “This (ANC) organisation is God’s. He is with us and he will always be with us…the ANC shall rule, forever,” – ANCWL deputy president Sisi Ntombela said on Sunday July 17, 2016
- . “When you get to heaven, the angels will be dressed in green, black and gold. The holy ones belong to the ANC.” — Zuma, Eastern Cape, February 6 2011.
- “If you leave this organisation to form your own … you will struggle until you die. The ancestors of this land … Hintsa, Ngqika and Shaka will all turn their backs on you.” — Jacob Zuma, Eastern Cape, February 6 2011.
- “Believe in two things: God and the ANC.” — Jacob Zuma, at an ANC rally in the Eastern Cape town of Graaff-Reinet, April 9 2011.
- “When you vote for the ANC you are voting for Qamata (God). Qamata is the midst of the ANC. We are the mother of democracy, no other party deserves to be voted for other than the ANC. There’s always the presence of God where we are. When you vote for the ANC even your hand gets blessed.” — Jacob Zuma, Eastern Cape, April 9 2011.
- “God helps those who help themselves. He softens the hearts of government and business owners. Government is like God, quick to hear but slow to respond.” — Jacob Zuma, speaking to residents at Tsilitwa village about a rural development programme, November 21 2011.
- “The organisation (the ANC) is biblical in every respect. The number three is very important, as is the number 12. Jesus had 12 disciples and in its first 100 years the ANC has had 12 presidents. We also had our own Moses. In 1993, a week after the assassination of Chris Hani, Oliver Tambo died; it was after that, in 1994, that Nelson Mandela led us through the river.” — ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe, to the National Union of Mineworkers in Carletonville, November 3 2013.
- “I know they say Jesus will return to fetch us. But I don’t know how many will stay behind. Maybe the majority. But this time (Jesus must return) not to fetch us, but just to come and cleanse us of our sins, because we have caused more damage than before. He must just come for a few years to help us so that we are ready for when he finally comes.” — Zuma, speaking after a meeting with ambassadors and commissioners in Pretoria, September 1 2014.
- “(The ANC) has a responsibility to rule until Jesus pays us another visit.” — Then-ANC chief whipMathole Motshekga, speaking at the ANC’s elective conference in Polokwane, Limpopo, November 21 2011.
- “The [Democratic Alliance] has no power. If you combine the power of the ANC, SACP and [civic movement] Sanco in KwaZulu-Natal, that power can only compete with God. Okay, maybe that power is just a little less than God’s power…”- ANC KwaZulu-Natal chair Senzo Mchunu on July 30, 2015.
- “Even God expects us to rule this country because we are the only organisation which was blessed by pastors when it was formed…This is why we will rule until Jesus comes back ” said President Jacob Zuma at a rally in 3 January, 2014